Background

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mason Milo Pollock







During my pregnancy I couldn't shake the feeling that Mason was coming earlier than we expected. On January 10, Chase, Cadence, and I decided to drive to St. George to spend some time with family while we still had the time to travel. We were playing Rook with Lance and Kat and having a blast. I was dealt a hand that had two 10s and three 11s and a thought came to me that I would go into labor on the 10th (that day) and have Mason on the 11th (the very next day). Kat started out the game laying down a green 11 and I said, "I know when Mason is going to be born. Remind me to tell you when the game is over." After the game was over I told everyone my theory about having Mason on the 11th. I was lovingly called Madame Cleo and we all had a great laugh over it.

The next morning, Chase stayed home from church with Cadence because he had a runny nose and a little fever. We thought it was because of teething, but we didn't want to take our chances. At about 10 a.m. I started feeling funny. I had been having contractions on and off for weeks and so I thought nothing of it. I went home after church and laid down hoping that the feeling would go away. I woke up at 3 p.m. and told Chase that I thought I needed to go to labor and delivery and have them check to make sure everything was ok.

When I arrived I was dilated to a 1+ so they hooked me up to the monitors and called my doctor. By 5 p.m. I was dilated to a 4 even after they gave me medication to stop my labor. I was bleeding so Dr. Gatherum came in and told me that he knew I wanted to try for a natural birth, but he had a bad feeling about it for the past week and thought I should have another c-section. We knew that he had our best intrest at heart so we prepared for a c-section and by 7:18 p.m., Mason was here! He was 5 weeks early so they let me see him for a moment and then took him to the nursery. He was 8 lbs. 2 oz. and 19 inches long. He had lots of black hair. They had him on oxygen for 4 hours and then he was doing just fine on his own. He stayed with me in my room and then came home with me after a day and a half.

We had so many wonderful visitors and friends that brought meals and gifts for both Cadence and Mason. I am so grateful to Jeff McKinney for staying with Cadence while we went to the hospital and Tina Duncan for spending the night in the hospital with me so that Chase could stay with Cadence at home. We were blessed with help from Chase's family and lots of long distance support from my family. We love you all!

No comments: